Comex and MuscleNerd were overtaken by the Chronic Dev Team in releasing an untethered jailbreak app called GreenpoisOn for Mac. After months of speculation and talks, the untethered jailbreak for iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 4G On iOS 4.2.1
The Chronic Dev Team has finally unleashed Greenpois0n for untethered jailbreaking of iDevices running on iOS 4.2.1 without requiring beta SHSH blobs as in the case of RedSn0w 0.9.7 by iPhone Dev Team. It is now possible to untethered jailbreak your iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 2G, 3G, 4G and the iPad.
This instructions will show you the necessary steps to jailbreak iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 4G running on iOS 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n for Mac. However, take note of the following notes before proceeding.
Notes to consider before proceeding with the jailbreak:
- Warranty may be voided if your hack your iPod Touch will so proceed with caution.
- The set of instructions for this jailbreak is for iPod Touch 2G, 3G and 4G users only.
- Bring to date your iPod Touch to 4.1 or 4.2.1 in since Greenpois0n supports these two iOS.
- This guided hack is currently for Mac users only.
- Before proceeding with the iPod Touch jailbreak note to backup your files.
- Make sure you have the latest or current download of iTunes or iTunes 10.1.
Here are the detailed instructions on jailbreaking iPod Touch:
- You can download the most recent edition of Greenpois0n by clicking on the icon for Mac at the site http://www.greenpois0n.com. If you have downloaded this on an earlier date remove the older Greenpois0n version.
- To extract Greenpois0n zip file double click it and then click the Greenpois0n app twice for application launch.
- Connect the PC and the iPod Touch before turning it off.
- Click the button marked “jailbreak”.
- A prompt will appear for your iPod Touch to be in DFU mode before Greenpois0n proceeds with the next steps.
- For at least 3 seconds, press Sleep/Wake button.
- Hold the Home button at the same time you press the Sleep/Wake button for at least 10 seconds.
- 8. Don’t release the Home button even when prompted to let go of the button marked Sleep/Wake.
- Don’t release the Home button. The jailbreak begins when the iPod is in DFU mode.
- Wait for the prompt to release the Home button as this means the jailbreak is done.
- Close the application by clicking the Complete button.
- A new Loader application will appear on the home screen of the iPod Touch after rebooting.
- Tap the Loader icon and launch. Select and tap the button Install Cydia.
- After installing Cydia, remove the Loader app. Do this by tapping on Options then Remove Loader app.
- Your iPod is now jailbroken. Cydia should be on the home screen. For updates, reboot iPod Touch then launch Cydia.
UPDATE: Greenpois0n RC_5 is now out to fix bugs. If you don’t find Cydia after launching the Loader application, try Redsn0w 0.9.6 RC8 for installing Cydia. Don’t opt for Monte but use Cydia. Do a “clean restore” before the hack. Should jailbreaking not work, just restore your iPod Touch.
If this jailbreak guide does not work, try the Greenpois0n RC5_b3.