One of the most common complaints you’ll hear about Apple devices is how difficult it is to install third-party iPhone applications in them. The iPod Touch is not an exception to this, which is a shame since this particular gadget can be greatly enhanced with apps not usually found in the App Store. So if you want to get the most bang for your buck when you purchase this device, here’s what you can do.
Jailbreak Your iPod Touch
Before you can install any third-party goodies from Cydia, you must first jailbreak your device. Jailbreaking is a relatively easy process these days. You can just do a quick search on the Internet and immediately find many programs that can help free your iPod Touch from its Apple-installed restrictions.
Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully in order to avoid the risk of damaging your gadget. Furthermore, take note that jailbreaking would void your Apple warranty. But if you can live with that, then go ahead and proceed with the process. Once the iPod Touch has been jailbroken, you can start having fun downloading and installing new applications.
Fast Facts About Cydia
Cydia is an App Store alternative that allows you to download programs Apple doesn’t feature in its catalogue. It gets installed automatically once you jailbreak your iPod Touch. It also provides you access to software packages that can modify the code of your gadget’s operating system, making it run better than ever.
How to Download and Install Cydia Apps
- Look for the icon on the screen of your device and tap it once.
- To look for an app or a code package, tap the Search option and enter the name of the application or code you want.
- To browse through the store, tap on Sections and view the various available categories such as multimedia and themes.
- Once you’ve seen the different options on offer, make your selection and tap the Install button.
- Next, tap Confirm. The app or modification package you’ve chosen will then start to download to your iPod Touch. After it’s been successfully downloaded, it will automatically install itself and you’ll get a notification once the process is complete.
- After installing certain applications, you may get a message telling you to reboot your gadget. Do so promptly so that you can start enjoying your new app once the iPod Touch has been restarted.
Stuff to Remember
Getting the freedom to enhance and modify your device with new apps can be a bit heady, but never forget to be careful with the software you install in it. Some third-party applications could turn out to be malware and end up causing more harm than good. So, before installing anything, make sure you read up on the user reviews about the app you want. Find out its pros and cons before hitting that Install button so you’ll have a better experience.
So now that you know the basics of Cydia and how to download and install apps on your iPod Touch, are you ready to try the process for yourself?
Let us know how it goes and whether you enjoy all the great new stuff you can do with your jailbroken gadget!