Redsn0w 0.9.11b4 was duly released by the ever reliable iPhone Dev Team a week after the release of Apple’s iOS 5.1.1. The new beta version of Redsn0w supposedly supports jailbreaking the iPod 4G and 3G, iPad 1, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. If you accidentally upgraded your 3rd or 4th generation iPod Touch, this guided jailbreaking procedure is for you.
Before proceeding note that:
- This guide is for users of iPod Touch 3G and 4G only.
- The hack using Redsn0w 0.9.11b4 is tethered which basically means that you have to plug your iDevice to a computer each time you reboot. Word has it that pod2g will be coming out soon with his version of an untethered jailbreak.
- Jailbreaking any iDevice could void its warranty so continue at your own discretion.
- Before proceeding with the jailbreak, always backup your iPod Touch.
- If your iPod Touch is jailbroken, use Cydia’s PkgBackup to backup or copy the jailbreak tweaks and apps to easily reinstall them after the Redsn0w jailbreak.
- Note that your iDevice must be on the current iTunes version.
If your iPod Touch 4G or 3G is on iOS 5.1.1, here’s a detailed instruction on how to jailbreak them using Redsn0w.
- If you are using Windows, Redsn0w download is available here. For Mac users, click here.
- Extract zip file marked Redsn0w to a folder marked as such. Launch the application then click the button marked jailbreak. Users of Windows 7 are advised to run or operate the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode. Users of Windows 7 and Windows XP are advised to right-click the Redsn0w exe to run it as Administrator.
- Wait for the prompt to connect your iPod Touch to the PC then turn it off. Following the instructions is simple enough.
- As you put your iPod Touch in DFU mode, Redsn0w is preparing to take you through the required steps. For at least 3 seconds, press down the Power button. Next, press the Home and Power buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. As you release the Power button, keep the Home button pressed and wait for Redsn0w to detect the iDevice.
- Release the Home button and wait for your iPod Touch to reboot.
- Wait as Redsn0w prepares the needed data for jailbreaking.
- Wait for the prompt to choose your preferred options for the jailbreak. Cydia is a must choice! Click Next.
- Wait for another reboot of your iPod Touch. The RAM disk and kernel will now be uploaded by Redsn0w.
- Wait for the prompt that the jailbreak is complete. Click Finish to exit.
- Once you exit the app, your iPod Touch will reboot again. Once it comes on, the jailbreak is complete. The Cydia jailbreak app should be on the home screen.
It is possible that some of the jailbreak tweaks and apps are not compatible with 5.1.1 iOS. After the jailbreak, The reboot is tethered. This means that you will see the Apple logo if you reboot your iPhone. To go around this, rerun Redsn0w and choose Extras then choose Just boot from the options list. Follow the instructions for rebooting.
Fix the Blank/White Cydia Icon
If the Cydia icon fails to launch after a successful jailbreak, fix it by following these steps.
- Relaunch Redsn0w.
- Click Extras then Just Boot from the options list.
- Wait for the prompt to connect your iPod Touch to the PC then power off.
- Put the iPod to DFU mode. For 3 seconds, press the Power button. Next, press down the home and power buttons together for 10 seconds. Let go of the Power button but keep the Home button pressed down until the device is detected by Redsn0w.
- Once your iPod Touch has rebooted, the Pwnage icon will momentarily flash on your iPod Touch’s screen.
- Wait for the iPod Touch to reboot for the Cydia icon to be displayed. Launching Cydia should not be a problem now.
We’d appreciate it highly if you could give us your feedback on this jailbreak. You can write your comments and feedbacks below.