After much speculation and build up of interest, the Chronic Dev Team as led by Pod2g has finally released an untethered jailbreak on 5.1.1 iOS with Absinthe 2.0. Below is an easy-to-follow instruction on how to jailbreak an iPod Touch iOS 5.1.1 with the application of Absinthe. Mac and Windows users can both use this untethered jailbreak.
There are a few items that you need to look into before proceeding with the jailbreak.
- This jailbreak is for users of iPod Touch only.
- Supported by Absinthe 2.0 are iPod Touch 4G and 3G
- This jailbreak is untethered
- Always backup your iPod Touch’s files to iTunes or iCloud before hacking
- Your iTunes must be updated to the newest version
- If your iOS is lower than 5.1.1, then you should update to 5.1.1 iOS through OTA or iTunes before jailbreaking.
- Jailbreaking will most probably void your iPod Touch’s warranty so precaution should be noted.
Below are the steps for a successful untethered jailbreak
- Use this link to download the newest edition of Absinthe. From your desktop, save it in folder named as such.
- Extract the zip file by double clicking Absinthe then saving in a folder marked as such for users of Windows. Launch the application by clicking the folder. Windows users must run the apps as administrator.
- After the Absinthe launching, wait for the prompt to plug your iPod touch.
- Note to disable the password for a seamless jailbreak. Try Settings then General then Passcode Lock On then Turn Passcode Off.
- Wait for Absinthe to identify your iPod Touch and acknowledge the running iOS firmware. Click “jailbreak”. Clicking the “jailbreak” button should set the hack in motion. You will be updated at each stage of the hacking process. Sample updates are in the line of the jailbreak is just beginning so the process might take a moment or the initial data for jailbreak is sent and your device is restoring the backup file…
- The end prompt would be something like “Done Enjoy”. Close and exit the Absinthe. The whole jailbreaking process should take from 5-10 minutes only.
The Cydia icon should now be displayed in your iPod Touch’s home screen.
In case there are hitches with the jailbreak, follow these steps to erase all content and settings:
- Backup your iPod Touch using iTunes. Click the name of your iPod Touch seen under Devices then opt for Back Up.
- After the backup, go back to your device then Settings then General then Reset then Erase all content and settings.
- Do steps 1 to 6 of the jailbreak procedure.
- After the jailbreak, go back to iTunes to restore the backup files. On the iTunes left panel, right click the name of your iPod Touch under Device. Click Restore from Back Up then choose the newest backup created previously for the restoration of Settings, photos and apps and so on.
In case the solution in Update 1 is not effective, the next step is to backup the iPod Touch using iTunes and do a full restoration of Absinthe. After the jailbreak, go back to iTunes and do a restore of the earlier backup. On the iTunes left panel, right click the name of your iPod Touch under Device. Click Restore from Back Up then choose the newest backup created before for the restoration of Settings, photos and apps and so on.